As part of the tourism policy of the Fascist government promoting mass tourism in the seaside resorts along the Adriatic Riviera, Cervia was supposed to become a “tourist, residential and health treatment centre”. Prestigious hotels and villas in different styles were built in the beach area. The Grand Hotel was a striking example of the Liberty style.
Symbol of the town
The Grand Hotel was inaugurated on 15 June 1931, after the Municipality had developed the square in front of it with an artistic fountain sculpted by Giuseppe Casalini. Immediately, it became a symbol of the town of Cervia, due to its refined marble, impressive crystal chandeliers and interior columns. The luxury hotel had 60 rooms with 100 beds, 8 shared bathrooms, running water in all rooms, and sometimes hot water.
Source of inspiration
The noble and majestic Grand Hotel dominated the central part of the seafront. This inspiring place attracted prominent personalities from the literary and cultural scene of the time. Grazia Deledda remembered the entrance of exceptional beauty, in which the pine trees formed a sort of oval with their branches, which she defined: "the big egg, half blue of the sea, half of heaven".
The Grand Hotel today
After its bankruptcy in 2015, the hotel was put up for auction. Today, the hotel is privately owned and awaiting restoration.